Making My Fabric Tail - Part 3

Hello!

Wow, it's really starting to come together, I received my two 6" spiral shells that I will be using as horns on a headpiece (somehow, they're quite heavy!), all the belly scales are cut out, and some are even painted!


So, I will have to decide how the top of the tail is going to look. I may get some false seaweed or fabric and make a belt that ends just below the start of the belly scales. Maybe add some netting to it, to make it look older and messy. Put a shell or two in it.


So in this step I had a lot of fun! I used the paper stencils for each scale that I made (Basically I used two sheets of long paper, patterned out the scales and cut those out of the vinyl separately), cut a triangle down the middle and placed each over their respective scale leaving about a centimeter from the bottom. Then I used my Purple Haze spray paint, and went over each one real quickly, I didn't want to make the lines too purple. This left a really cool outline on the scrap board I was painting on. Looks like birds!


And this was the result! They look amazing and mesh so well with the body fabric. This isn't all the scales and for those top ones, I need to make new paper patterns, since I threw the paper away after making them. Oops! I've set aside and glued the bottom 7 or so together, and they cured overnight, tonight I will be finishing the belly scales! I don't have a picture of the side fins, but they are all glued together and ready to sew! I may actually try to livestream the sewing and assembly process. I also need to figure out how to do the veining on the fluke with the bottom of the fabric. This I should have figured out a while ago. I know I'm going to sew it together, and I know the vinyl is flexible enough to be turned inside out, right side out, then inside out again, but I'm so very nervous about the process, I've spent a lot of money so far. I'll make a spreadsheet itemizing everything and get that up on the next update! Thanks for reading!

Love,

Karingan

Comments