Making My Fabric Tail - Part 2

Hello!

I had a productive day yesterday, though I wish I was more focused on the tail, I did make some cute accessories.
First is for my River Dragon character, a nautilus shell necklace! #praisehelix


I'm super pleased with this one and I love wearing it, it makes me feel comfortable and happy. And I think I photographed it pretty well!
Next up is a sea shell and pearl tiara/ headpiece that I'm still debating whether I will use or sell.


It's quite heavy, at least a pound, maybe a pound an a half, but it's stunning and symmetrical and looks so nice when worn! I don't think it really fits the aesthetic of my character, so I may actually just decide to sell it, who knows. Maybe I'll keep it for little mermaids to wear during photos.

Now what we came for! Tail progress!


Here we see the tail laid out after basting, I tried it on and noticed it could be tighter, so I made notes on that for sewing. I am going to have to remove the basting and pin the tail together before sewing because I need to put the side fins in the seams, but I can't even do that until the side fins are glued together. I was using E6000, but I ran out and I'm waiting on more to show up hopefully by tomorrow. With any luck, I may have a majority of the whole tail done by the end of this weekend.


But I nearly also forgot this step! And now I'm kind of scratching my head as to how to finish and sew this. I will probably glue the overlapping bits together to make one whole strip and sew the edges down to the fabric, which I guess I will do before the body is all sewn together, this will also allow me to place the pectoral fins in the front panel before sewing. I'm also trying to decide if I want to paint them and how. I'm thinking of lightly dusting the purple with a stencil to give texture and false a ridge down the middle of each scale before gluing. My partner worries that the scales are too matte and don't mesh well with the body fabric, and I told him that's kind of the point, I guess. I don't really know, I don't have to add the belly scales, but I would like to after taking the time to cut them all out!

Regardless of how I end up finishing it, I'm also thinking of a new modification that may not work since I already cut the vinyl for the fluke. My idea was whether or not to get a Finis Luna monofin, which I would absolutely love, and make the tail fit that, but I don't think there is enough room for it. The tail as is will snugly fit an Aquarius monofin by the same company, but I don't want to get this far and have to fudge the bottom bit because I would like to use the Luna instead. I probably won't but I do want a Luna at some point.

Thanks for reading up on my progress, updates may or may not be as frequent due to a surgery I may be having soon. It's still up in the air.

Love,

Karingan

Comments